Alisa King, Administrative Assistant for Professional Development
|Dr. Felisha Whitaker, Senior Director of Academic Services
Welcome to the Granville County Schools Professional Development Department...
where you can find support opportunities to fit your needs, and provide input to drive future work.
The Mission of Granville County Schools is, in partnership with the community, to continually improve all educational services to prepare our students today for a successful tomorrow.
In order for students to prepare for the job market of tomorrow, they must receive high quality, rigorous, and engaging instruction. Therefore, the primary goal of the Professional Development Department is to provide our teachers the tools and support needed to do just that. The professional development of our teachers and school leaders is a critical component of improving student learning opportunities.
Professional development takes many forms, including blended workshops, institutes, professional learning communities (PLCs), and instructional coaching. Given the prioritization of the continuing implementation of our Local Curriculum (based on new state standards and assessments) for the 2015-16 school year, GCS professional development goals include:
- Support Local Curriculum implementation.
- Build teacher understanding and efficacy in instructional frameworks.
- Support PLC Development as the vehicle to inform instruction, coaching, and feedback at all levels (Central Services to Building Leaders, Building Leaders to Teachers, and Teachers to Students).
- Integrate Instructional Technology into all Professional Development Efforts.
- Provide training and support for all systems that contribute to the success of Curriculum and Instruction.