skip to main content


An effort called Project Child Find is underway in the Granville County area to identify children and youth ages 0 through 21 who have disabilities and need special education and other services.


The local efforts to identify children and youth are part of a concentrated statewide effort to find children who need special help, which they are not currently receiving.  Project Child Find is also an endeavor to inform the parent(s) and/or guardian(s) of these children about services available from their local school system and other state and community agencies.


According to the Director of the Department of Public Instruction's Exceptional Children Division, help is available for children with special needs.  This help includes a complete evaluation, an individualized education program designed specifically for the child and a referral to other agencies providing special services.


Project Child Find is looking for children and youth who have been diagnosed or are suspected to have mental, physical or emotional disabilities and are unable to benefit from a regular school program without assistance.


Anikko Gorham, Exceptional Children's Program Director and Dr. Alisa McLean, Superintendent of Granville County Public Schools, encourage anyone who knows a child or youth who have disabilities and is not in school or receiving special assistance, to urge the parent(s)/guardian(s) to contact: the superintendent, the exceptional children director, principal, or the Department of Public Instruction's Exceptional Children Division.


"We need the help of all citizens in this effort to find children and youth who could benefit from special services… Without this help, a child with a disability may not be found.  The right to a free appropriate public education is guaranteed to every child with a disability, ages 3-21."


For more information, call your local school system at (919) 693-1103, 693-4613 or call the Exceptional Children Division at (919) 807-3996.  Parent(s) or guardian(s) may call the toll-free Information and Referral Service / CARE-LINE at 1-800-662-7030 and ask for the Exceptional Children Division; or the Family Support Network at 1-800-TLC-0042.

ADA Compliance Errors 0