Google Gmail Transition
By Dr. Vanessa Wrenn
Google Gmail Transition
There is some exciting news for Faculty and Staff this year.
The District will be implementing Google Gmail!
So what does that mean for you as a staff member?
|Well the biggest change will be that your email client will switch from Zimbra to Google's Gmail. Your email address will stay the same, but now you will be logging into Gmail using your email address and GCPS password to access your work mail. There are several benefits to this change. Below are a few:|
- Unlimited Storage Space! No more pruning out your old emails to consolidate on space.
- Accessible Anywhere! Easily add your email to your personal phone, tablet, and home pc. And because it's cloud based you're assured a 99.99% up time even when natural disasters such as hurricanes.
- Apps Integration! Your email will now work with a network of other Google products. Google Classroom, Google Drive, Google Calendar, YouTube, Hangouts, etc. All of which will help making collaborating, organizing, communicating, and getting involved all the more easy.
- Tons of support options! You'll no longer be limited to internal support. With Gmail there are many support resources, YouTube videos, and training information online, additionally, the ITS staff will be hosting and creating many online, blended and in-person training opportunities.
- Gmail Features: Gmail offers many new options, including the labeling system, themes, searchability, filters, and more.
- Communicate! Students transitioned to Gmail in 2015; therefore, you'll be able to securely communicate with students via email, and they will all have accounts that you can easily contact through directory listings. The Google Apps for Education environment will include directory searching in the same way we have now.
Gmail is integrated into Google Drive, which means unlimited file storage accessible from anywhere.
Gmail is part of Google Drive, which is a cross platform cloud based highly accessible file storage system. Connect to it via your laptop, tablet, or Chromebook.
|Synchronized calendars with Google Calendar!
Add Google Calendar to your phone, laptop, tablet, or Chromebook. Get alerts from devices. Add events from anywhere and receive them anywhere. With the added benefit of directory connectivity you'll be able to organize like never before.
Google Chat and Hangouts
Google Chat and Hangouts are easy to launch within the email application allowing more options for communication and file sharing.
|Google Apps for Chrome, Chromebooks, Drive, Extensions, and Add ons
The Google Apps market is getting larger and larger, and we have access to a resources available through it. Cast for Education, Pixlr, LucidChart, Edmodo, IXL, Educlipper, and many more. Transitioning to Gmail strengthens the GSuite integration and makes usage convenient.
Beginning with Gmail
Beginning with Google Calendar