- Affecting Vaccine Requirements for School Entry at Kindergarten and Seventh Grade:
Effective July 1, 2015, the administrative rule, 10A NCAC 41A, 0401, has been changed, adding revised and new requirements at kindergarten and seventh grade entry. The rule changes are listed below:
◦ Polio vaccine—the booster (4th) dose is required on or after the 4th birthday and before entering school for the first time.
◦ Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccine—2 doses administered at least 28 days apart. Second dose before entering school for the first time or documentation of disease must be from a physician verifying history of the disease.
• Seventh Grade
◦ Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough)—Tdap Booster dose of Tdap for individuals who have not previously received it, and are entering 7th grade or by 12 years old, whichever comes first.
◦ Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV)—2 doses
▪ One dose for individuals entering 7th grade or by 12 years of age, whichever comes first.
▪ Booster dose for individuals entering the 12the grade or 17 years of age beginning August 1, 2020.
If the first dose is administered after the 16th birthday the booster dose is not required.
- North Carolina Immunization Branch